Construction sites often pose a lot of danger to people working there. There are many cases being reported almost every day of people getting injured in various construction sites. But who is responsible when a person gets injured on a construction site?
Construction accident liability cases can be complex. Most of the people who are supposed to put in place measures to prevent injuries often fail to do so. They rarely admit liability in case of an injury.
That’s why you need an experienced construction accident lawyer to increase your chances of getting justice.
In case you or your loved one gets injured while working in a construction site, the first thing should be to determine who is responsible for the accident.
Despite the fact that you have a workers’ compensation cover, you may still be entitled to further compensation – especially if a third party was responsible for the injuries. A Chicago workers’ comp attorney can help you determine the type of damages you qualify for.
Common construction accidents
Slips and trips
Construction sites are ever busy with materials scattered all over the place. Consequently, slips and trips are common forms of injuries because of the obstacles and materials. For example, oil and grease spillages present a bigger health hazard for the people working on the construction site.
Falling from height
Since most constructions involve lofty heights, injuries from falling are always common and can be serious. Although a builder may fall off for any other reason, the most common one is due to a lack of guardrails in place.
Being hit by objects
Falling objects such as materials, tools, or debris also pose a great danger to people working on construction sites.
It is important to put in place measures such as falling ropes that can protect workers from getting injured when they fall.
Factors used in determining construction accident liability
There are several factors usually considered when it comes to determining construction accident liability. But with the help of a qualified Chicago work injury lawyer, you will definitely get proper justice.
Below are some of the factors:
- Where did the accident happen? Considering the fact that construction workers work in various places, it is good to know exactly where the accident took place.
- Conditions of the construction site where the accident occurred. All construction sites are supposed to adhere to the guidelines provided by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). If it is determined that the guidelines were not followed by the latter, then the owner of the building will be held responsible.
- The type of equipment involved
- Wash the equipment used in the right manner?
- The person who was in charge of the site
- Who is your employer? It is also important to determine if your employer was responsible for the injuries or a third party was involved.
Most common liability parties
When an accident happens on a construction site, there are parties that usually take the most responsibility. A work injury lawyer in Chicago can also be used in determining who exactly should pay for the damages.
The following are the most common parties assigned with liability:
- Owners of construction sites
- Contractors and sub-contractors
- Equipment manufacturers
How personal injury attorneys in Chicago can help
Getting compensation for construction injury lawsuits is not easy. This is because of the complexity involved in determining the person responsible for the accident.
You will require a seasoned workers' compensation lawyer attorney in Cook county to increase your chances.
Trapp & Geller have been helping construction workers for many years. We have personal injury lawyers who have worked with many victims of construction accidents. All you have to do is to contact us as soon as you or your loved one gets injured.